Thursday, January 22, 2009

Happy Birthday Tommy!

Confused by the title of this post?

Let me explain...

No, tommy is not one yet...or is he? It was around this time (or possibly earlier) last year that little Tommy was conceived. I can't ever begin to explain just how miraculous that day was when I found out I was pregnant.

It was the Tuesday after Superbowl Sunday when I finally gave in and took a pregnancy test. I was refusing to take one up to that point because I was so sick and tired of seeing negative pregnancy tests. However, as I was standing outside my classroom that particular morning on "hallway duty," I about barfed. That had never happened to me before, so it spurred me into taking a test.

I stopped at Walgreens on my way home from work, picked up a generic test (because I figured why waste good money on expensive ones...since it was bound to be negative again) and went home and took the test.

FYI...I'm about to get personal here....

I peed on the stick and placed it on the floor in front of me. In the meantime, I read the carton and made sure I knew what I was looking for...a + in one of the "windows." The control window darkened its line like it should and then there it was...the test window had a very dark + staring at me. I jumped up (not even sure I pulled my pants back on) and ran through the house SCREAMING, laughing, and crying at the same time. I remember Winnie running after me howling through the house...almost like she knew what just happened. It was so surreal. I couldn't believe that it had finally happened.

I called Rich at work and told him the news. He had been wanting me to take a test for a few days before, but I refused. He was so shocked and came home that night with 4 more tests to be taken. They all changed + immediately, and our dream started to become a reality.

Here we are, a year later, and we're the parents of a beautiful baby boy. He's the most intelligent, funny, loving, snuggly little guy you could ever want! We're so in love with him and can't believe that our lives before him ever existed.

It's certainly amazing what can happen in just one short year! So, Happy Birthday Tommy! Thanks for making us happier than we could ever be!

Babies truly are miracles.

1 comment:

The Moniak Family said...

Your posts always make me cry, labe!