Tuesday, January 6, 2009

30th Birthday!


"Look at the stars, look how they shine for you, and everything you do."

30 years old.

Holy cow. Am I really 30 years old? I've lived through 3 decades so far, and it's hard to believe that it's already here. I'm 30 years old. According to my high school students, "I'm like, totally old."

I'm ok with turning 30. I didn't freak out. I am not thinking that my life is over or that I'm "old." I consider myself to be young, but experienced. And heck, I'm only 30...I'm not THAT experienced.

I think I'm ok with turning 30 because I am exactly where I thought I would be. I was not on some competition to get married and have kids by a certain age...but having done many of these things; I'm very proud of everything I have accomplished.

Recently, I read an article that stated you should make a list of things you are most proud of in your life, or your greatest accomplishments...so here goes my top ten:

1. Thomas Edward Novak.
2. Winnie Novak. Yes, she's my baby too. And she should share #1 with Tommy.
3. Marrying a man who treats me well, puts up with my crap, spoils me, and knows when I need that extra hug and never lets me go to sleep upset.
4. Obtaining my masters degree
5. Building a brand new house to raise our family in
6. Being a teacher that students write letters to thanking me for doing something right and good for them.
7. Have been on 13 cruises...and counting
8. Have traveled to over 90% of the major Caribbean islands, plus France, Spain, and Morocco, and must we not forget Hawaii and many different parts of Mexico.
9. Have stood on 4 continents.
10. I always try to be a good friend and family member.

So, to summarize, I have many things to be thankful for. I don't have many regrets, and I think that pretty much means that I'm a happy, satisfied YOUNG woman. The first 30 years of my life have been wonderful and I hope the next thirty years are even better. The way I see it...I spent the first thirty years growing up, and now I get to watch my child grow up, and hopefully I'll see him grow to see his grandchildren.

But for now, I'm going to take that sweet baby up to bed, have pleasant dreams, and look forward to many new adventures in the future.

30 feels great so far!

The picture above is my little angel asleep on my birthday night. What a wonderful sight! (and yes, he scratched himself across the cheek. He slept 12 hours at night, never napped during the day, was very crabby and irritable and scratched himself in a fit of hunger...you can tell he's hardly ever fed by his size.)

1 comment:

The Moniak Family said...

Happy Birthday, Erin... you should be very proud of who you are and what you've accomplished... may your best day of last year be your worst of this year :) (I promise, if you give that a little thought, it's a nice thing!)