Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008

It's 9:45 on New Year's night, and while I just finished Tommy's bedtime feeding, I couldn't help but think about the past year.

First of all, I woke up this morning and glanced down at Tommy in his bassinet next to our bed. We're going to put Tommy in his big boy crib this week. I think I'm emotionally ready to do it (honestly, I'd let him sleep next to my bed for the next 18 years if I could). He sleeps at least 9 hours a night (usually a solid 10 hours uninterrupted). And, I wanted to do it before I went back to work...and it's a new year, so I think it's the right time to do it. We just have to set up our monitors...that will be the weekend project.

Anyway, I looked at him sleeping, drifted off back to sleep and woke up to him letting out a cry that I swear to god sounded like he was saying something. He's definitely "talking." It wasn't a cry that sounded whiny or anything like that; it sounded more like speech.

I was changing him this morning and it hit me as I was "nibbling" on his chunky thighs. This is MY baby. I waited so long for him, and here he is. Did I really just change MY baby's diaper? Did I really just nurse my son? Is it really 2009? Holy cow! So much happened in one year!!! 2008 was such a wonderful year for us. Most of the year (ok...all of it) was dedicated to Tommy. I found out in early 2008 that I was pregnant, and spent the last 3 months of 2008 learning the role of mommy. It's been wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. Being a mommy is so intense; but it's the greatest feeling in the world.

So, I came up with some new year's resolutions. Here it goes: (they say it's more effective if you write down your goals...so I'm blogging them in hopes that is even more effective.)

After watching "Half-ton Teen and Dad" on TLC...

1. Eat Healthy and start cooking healthy meals for Rich and I...and Tommy eventually.

2. Go to the gym at least 3 times a week, even if it's just for the 30 min. of cardio.

3. Do at least 30 crunches a day. I just did them and it took me about 3 minutes. It doesn't sound like a lot, but 30 x 365 = 10,950. So, by this time next year, my tummy will have attempted to flatten out 10,950 times. It's gotta make some kind of an improvement, right?

Non Weight Loss Goals:

4. Be the best mommy I can be. Even if it means staying up when I'm tired or getting out of bed extra early, nothing is more important than giving Tommy my love and attention. And giving Winnie her own time and attention also. After all, she is my baby too. And Willbur.

So, that's about it. I'm also going to try to just "let things go." Life's too short to worry about everything. If the laundry piles higher, and the dishes sit in the sink, and dust is an inch thick...none of it matters if we all end the day together and happy.

Here's hoping 2009 is even better! I really don't know how that is possible, but I never thought last year that my life would be what it is today. It's time to take that sweet baby up to his bed.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Happy New Year to you!!! I hope 2009 brings you even more joy than 2008. Is that possible:)

Love,
Jess